Tax Payment Information

All tax payments must be received in the Treasurer's Office or postmarked on or before December 5th to avoid a 5% penalty and accumulated interest at an annual amount of 10%.

Contact Information

All inquiries regarding tax bills or assessments should be made by telephone to the office of the Commissioner of the Revenue by calling 757-294-5225. Inquiries regarding tax payments should be made by telephone to the Treasurer's Office by calling 757-294-5206.

Methods of Payment

  • Cash - Make all cash payments in person. Please do not send cash by mail.
  • Checks - Make checks payable to "Surry County Treasurer" for the exact amount due. Payments by check may be made in person. For the convenience of citizens, a drop box is now located in the rear of the Government Center (45 School Street, Surry, Virginia) at the far end of the parking lot near the Sheriff's Department entrance, so that payments may be made before and after regular business hours.
  • Credit Card - Credit card payments can be made in person, online, or by telephone to Official Payments. A 3% fee is charged for all credit card payments.
  • Official Payments - Taxpayers may make online payments through Official Payments Corporation. Only real estate and personal property taxes can be paid using this method. At the prompt, enter Jurisdiction Code 1068. Taxpayers may also make payments by telephone by calling 800-272-9829.
  • BAI.NET - Taxpayers may make online payments of real estate, personal property and business license taxes. This site may also be used to determine tax balances. Payments made through BAI.NET are processed in real time and citizens will receive a receipt upon completion of the transaction. Convenience fees apply.

Delinquent Personal Property Taxes

If payments are to include delinquent personal property taxes, please be aware that there may be a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) stop on the account. In this case, a $50 fee for the DMV stop must be included in the online payment amount. Online payments cannot be made on accounts that have been sent to collection.